July 8th Summer Jam-Off Event
**July 8th will be the last Re-thinking Soup before the summer hiatus. Hull-House Kitchen will briefly close its doors to evaluate the program and test out new recipes. Please join us when we reopen our doors and serve more healthy soup on Tuesday AUGUST 19 at noon. Please give us your feedback and comments about your experiences at Rethinking Soup so that we can plan, scheme, and devise new ways of opening the table and the conversation to new ideas and new people.**
Hull-House Kitchen: Rethinking Soup
Activists, farmers, doctors, economists, artists, and guest chefs will join us each week to present their ideas and projects. In the tradition of the Hull-House Settlement's commitment to free speech and Chicago's Bug House Square, the third tuesday of every month will feature a "Soup Soap Box." Anyone and everyone is invited to take the stage for 2 minutes each to share their projects, opinions, and visions for the future of food.
Hull-House Kitchen: Re-thinking Soup
Every Tuesday, 12-1:30pm
Jane Addams Hull-House Museum
Residents' Dining Hall
800 South Halsted
(donations from $.01 to $1,000,000 gladly accepted)
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
In case you couldn't attend or have more to contribute...
We would like to continue the discussions with our blog.
We can still serve as an official Listening Session for the Governor's Task Force, appointed as a result of the Illinois Food, Farms, and Jobs Act. All Recomendations from the Task Force will be considered by the Illinois General Assembly in 2009. Please post your thoughts...
1 large onions chopped
6 large shallots
(roasted at 450 degrees in hot oven until golden and tender)
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 heaping Tablespoon of honey
1 large yukon gold potato
1 cup of dry sherry
2 heads of cauliflower chopped
1 bay leaf
1 pinch ground black pepper
1. Saute onions, shallots, garlic and honey.
2. Add Potatoes and deglaze with sherry.
3. Add Cauliflower,bay leaf, black pepper
and just enough water to cover. Cook until tender.
4. Puree and strain through chinoise
5. Season and serve!
Sweet Pea and Mint Soup
1 large spanish onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 pinch of thyme
1 Tablespoon of honey
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1 small bay leaf
2 qt. shucked english/sweet peas
1. Saute onions, garlic,bay leaf and thyme until tender
2. Puree then add honey and black pepper then chill
3. Blanch Peas until tender(2-3 minutes) in boiling water
and shock in an ice bath
4. Remove the peas from the ice bath and puree them with
just enough water to puree smooth.
5. Strain through china cap and mix with the onion base.
6. Adjust consitancy with cold water.
7. Add bacon lardons for extra deliciousness!
Along with mint leaves
Spicy Miso Vegetable Soup
1/4 cup carrot
1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup ginger
1/4 cup spring garlic
1/2 cup shitake mushrooms
1/4 cup snap peas sliced
1/4 cup snow peas sliced
1/4 cup english peas
1/4 cup chinese broccoli chopped
1 bunch baby bok choy seperated
1/2 cup diced tofu firm
1 cup dark miso paste (rice fermented)
6 cups water
1 Tablespoon sambal oelek
1/2 bunch cilantro
1. In a food processor mix until finely chopped onion, celery, carrot, ginger, garlic, and shitake mushrooms. Do Not Puree!
2. Saute mixture over medium heat with vegetable oil until liquid has cooked out and mixture is tender. About 20 minutes.
3. Add water and bring to a light simmer, Do not boil.
4. Add miso paste to a seperate bowl
5. Then ladle 2 cups of hot broth liquid into miso paste, whisk until dissolved.
6. Add miso mixture back into soup broth.
Never bring to a boil!
7. Add veggies and sambal, cook until veggies reach desired tenderness.
8. Add cilantro, serve and enjoy!
Chicken Mushroom with Cavolo Nero
1/4 cup sliced garlic
3 cups chopped cavolo nero
1 1/2 cup quartered crimini mushrooms
2 cups chopped chicken pre cooked
1 cup pedro ximinez sherry
6 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
7 sprigs of thyme
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender.
2. Add Cavolo Nero, saute until tender.
3. Add sherry and reduce by half.
4. Add mushrooms, chicken stock and sachet
5. Cook until Cavolo Nero starts to break down and fall apart.
6. Add chicken and simmer for 10 min.
7. Adjust salt, serve and enjoy.
Asparagus Soup with Green Garlic and Spring Onions
1 cup Spring Onions
1/4 cup chopped Garlic cloves
2 cups White Wine
1 cup Lima Beans cooked
2 cups chopped Asparagus
7 cups Vegetable Stock
1 Sachet of:
2 sprigs Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
1 Ancho Chili
1 Tablespoon Peppercorn
1 small bunch chopped Basil
1 small bunch chopped Mint
1. Saute the Ginger, Onions, Garlic until tender.
2. Add White Wine and reduce by half the amount.
3. Add Stock and Sachet bring to a light simmer
4. Add Asparagus and cooked Lima Beans bring back to a simmer.
5. Add Fresh Basil and Mint.
6. Serve and Enjoy!
Recipe: Beef and Barley with Spring Vegetables
1/4c chopped garlic
1/2c sliced green garlic
1 heaping teaspoon tomato paste
2c red wine
2c hulled barley
4c diced beef (stew meat)
6c beef or chicken stock
1ea bay leaf
2sprigs parsley stems
salt and pepper
1. Sear meat on high heat and then remove the meat
from pan when barely cooked.
2. In the same pan, lower the heat and add the onions,
garlic and green garlic. Saute until light brown scraping the bottom
of the pan every time you stir.
3. Incorporate the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add red wine and reduce by 3/4 amount.
5. Add the stock, meat, sachet and barley and lightly
simmer until barley and meat are tender.
6. Season with Salt and Pepper and serve!
Recipe: Lentil with Baby Collard Greens and Spring Scallions
Scallions from Nichols Farm in Illinois.
2 cups chopped onions
¼ cup garlic
1 cup carrots
3 cups green lentils
8 cups water
1 cup white wine
½ cup sherry
1 Tablespoon Toasted fennel
1 Bay leaf
1 sprig Thyme
Salt and 3 Tablespoons Sherry Vinegar
1 cup spring scallions
1 cup baby collard greens
(You can add more if you want a heartier soup)
1. Sweat out onions, garlic for 5 min on medium heat
2. Add carrots, white wine, and sherry. Then reduce by half.
3. Add lentils, sachet, stir and add water.
4. Keep on medium high heat, stir often so lentils don’t stick to bottom of pan.
5. Slice greens, scallions and collards and add 10 min before serving.
6. Serve and Enjoy!
Recipe: Chicken Green Garlic Soup With Grilled Asperagus
6 cloves garlic
½ # green garlic bottoms sliced (reserve tops)
½ cup Maderia
8 cups chicken stock
4 cups cooked chicken pieces
1 cup grilled asparagus
1 cup sliced spinach
1 cup precooked white beans
1 sachet of thyme, crushed red pepper, black peppercorns, green garlic tops, bay leaf
1. Saute onions, garlic, and green garlic until tender.
2. Add Madeira and stir.
3. Then add chicken stock, cooked chicken pieces, the sachet, and white beans and bring to a simmer. Cook until flavors combine, add salt if needed.
4. To serve the soup, in a bowl add grilled asparagus and sliced spinach then ladle with a serving of soup.
5. Serve and Enjoy!
Recipe: Carrot Soup
2 Leeks chopped
1 cup Onion chopped
4 ea Cloves Garlic chopped
8 cups Carrots chopped
1 cup Dry Sherry
13 cups Water
1 ea Ancho chili seeded
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp peppercorns
5 ea Parsley stems fresh
5 ea Thyme stems fresh
1 Bay Leaf dried
1. First sweat the leeks, onions and garlic over medium heat until translucent (approx 10 minutes).
2. Add carrots and sherry, reducing sherry by half.
3. Then add sachet and water then cook on medium heat. Simmer until carrots are tender or fall off a fork (approx 20 min).
4. Remove the sachet.
5. Blend the contents in a blender, then pour through a mesh strainer.
6. Check for final Seasoning and adjust if needed.
6. Serve and Enjoy